So, there are three questions I’ve got about Obama’s new Oval Office Area Rug.
- Do you like it?
- Do you think it’s a good idea for any new administration to spend your tax money on renovating the oval office?
- What happens to the old rug from the previous administration?
It seems to happen every time. Whenever a new president takes over the oval office it gets redecorated along with a new area rug on the floor.
Now even though the redecoration (supposedly) didn’t cost the taxpayers a dime – this time – I’m pretty sure it isn’t every administration that gets the same sweet deal Obama got on his new area rug.
His was free.
Actually, this area rug was donated by the Scott Group, a U.S. carpet maker based in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I had a tour of the Scots rug making plant back in 2008 with my good friends Ruth Travis and Nathen Koets. I was blown away at their operation and couldn’t take any pictures because they had trade secrets they wanted to protect.
Anyhow the focal point of the room – the expensive sunburst carpet designed by then First Lady Laura Bush has been replaced. This new beige rug features a traditional presidential seal in the center, with multiple quotes from four former presidents and one civil rights leader around the border. The quotes are:
- “The Only Thing We Have to Fear is Fear Itself” – President Franklin D. Roosevelt
- “The Arc of the Moral Universe is Long, But it Bends Towards Justice” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
- “Government of the People, By the People, For the People” – President Abraham Lincoln
- “No Problem of Human Destiny is Beyond Human Beings” – President John F. Kennedy
- “The Welfare of Each of Us is Dependent Fundamentally Upon the Welfare of All of Us” – President Theodore Roosevelt